A Thank You

It happened on a Friday night,
The last part of September.
My husband had it all planned out,
An evening to remember.

So there it was -- my birthday --
And the fortieth, at that!
I never once suspect what
You all pulled from your hat.

I’d gone to the Great Neck Inn,
Not knowing what I’d find…
And there I soon discovered
My surprise -- the finest kind!

Magician’s rabbits -- as I watched
Each one of you appear,
I came adrift in memories
Of time and place and year.

The birthday cake was simply great
And there upon each table
Was splendid wine that had my family’s
Picture on the label!

That night, we dined deliciously
And danced for quite a time.
(And those Apple Martinis were,
I must admit, sublime!)

Such generosity -- a shower
Of gifts then came my way:
Certificates, a hand-made scarf,
A way to make tunes play,

A leather bag, sweet tasty treats,
A journal, jewelry,
Scratch tickets where I’d try my luck,
And U.S. currency…

Half-dazed by all of this generosity,
I thanked you, one and all,
And as I did, I realized
What gift was best of all.

That present was your presence,
And I treasured every face.
It warmed me so to know you’d come
To share that time and space.

I never will return you
Or exchange you -- not a chance!
For knowing you enhances my
Enjoyment of life’s dance

By Julie

No comments:

 

Copyright © 2008 Yupture Team. All rights reserved.